Monday, July 21, 2008

My Bucket List

Lifechurch.tv is doing a series entitled “At the Movies”, and this week’s focus was on a recent film with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman called The Bucket List. I personally have not seen this movie from beginning to end, but it’s definitely going to be on my to-do list. The gist of the movie is that two guys, who find out that they have cancer, form a friendship over the making of a list of things that they must accomplish before they “kick the bucket”. We were shown some clips of the movie during the sermon, and they really stirred some emotions in me.
I am forever making lists myself. Usually grocery lists, chore lists, work-task lists, book lists, etc. But I don’t think I’ve ever really sat down and thought about the things that I must do before I die. Making that list would require a great deal more thought than organizing my groceries, or projects for the week. For I’m realizing that the things that I wish to accomplish this week, or month, or even year, are not necessarily things that would warrant a space on my “bucket list”. They seem petty and insignificant.
Along with their adventures together to complete their lists, Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson come to the realization that most of the things that really mean something to them in the end relate to relationships. Our pastor talked about a verse that is very familiar to me. It talks about a man that asked Jesus, “What is the most important commandment of all?” Jesus replied, “The greatest commandment is this, that you love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might, and with all your strength. And the second greatest commandment is like it. Love your neighbor as yourself.”
In thinking about my “bucket list” and relating it to this scripture, it occurs to me that most, if not all, of the items on my list should be relational. God very clearly states that we need to spend our life learning to love HIM more. It’s the greatest commandment, after all. And the second commandment states that we should take that love further in learning to love our neighbor as ourselves. God says that our relationships should be our top priority, under loving Him. Does my bucket list reflect that mindset?
I would say that I am a very relational person. But there are relationships in my life that I have left on the backburner just because I wanted to concentrate on work, or school, or reading, or writing, or activities. I need to make them right. I need to make them a priority.
I’m going to start my “Bucket List” tonight. And hopefully, it will steer my life in a direction that is more in tune with the heart of God. I want to value my friends and family the way God does. And I want to accomplish things in my life that make a lasting impression on the people I love. I want to live my life in a way that inspires others to love as well. I know that this week, my grocery list won’t matter nearly as much! I’ll be focusing on a bit higher calling. ;)

No comments: